Eseosa curated most of the covers on the site with assistance from Jessica, and she also established the guidelines for the information we archived about the covers. As the studio got better at collaborating with people from diverse backgrounds, we brought in Emmanuel, a Data Analyst, to populate the database and verify the accuracy of the information sitting on it.
We chose Airtable for the database because of its versatile data storage and display capabilities. However, the Airtable website design had room for improvement and presented some usability challenges.
During that period, the studio was occupied with other projects, and we couldn't make out time to properly ideate the project. In response, Ope proposed the idea of hosting a contest for creatives to submit ideas on how to enhance the database's usability and browsing experience. We sent out a tweet and 4 people (One designer and three writers) responded to the form in the tweet with a pitch.
We set up a group call with the contestants to kick off the project, and the outcome of the call was that I’ll pair up with Idris, the designer, to build the project and create an operation plan to help guide everyone on what the final outcome of the project should look like.
Design and Development
Idris designed the brand elements like the logo, typography and colour selection, while I gave him feedback on what could be done better to deliver a higher quality of work. I used the brand logo he designed to create a loading icon for the site.
We continued our close collaboration on the website design, developing wireframes and designing multiple iterations to shape the appearance and functionality of a user-friendly archive of album covers.
Screens that did not make the final cut
Unfortunately, those functionalities pictured above had to be omitted from the deployed version due to limitations in technical capabilities and budget. We lacked the means to connect the Airtable database to a custom website, so we transitioned to an open-source approach, partnering with an engineer seeking to expand their portfolio.
Lina volunteered to take it on, she partnered with Toyosi to build the website from scratch using React, SCSS, GitHub and Airtable’s API Document.